Friday, March 26, 2010

Judge if you may, but I'm addicted to ChatRoulette

That's right folks, your favorite Transy admissions blogger has an addiction to ChatRoulette. What is ChatRoulette you may ask? According to the all-mighty Wikipedia, "Chatroulette is a website that pairs random strangers for webcam-based conversations. Visitors to the website randomly begin an online chat (video, audio and text) with another visitor." Sounds kind of creepy? Well sometimes it is, but sometimes it's a really awesome way of meeting people from all over the world. I now have AIM buddies from Ireland and Italy, and I've met people from California to Richmond, KY. Now, you might be asking yourself why I'm talking about this on my admissions blog, well funny thing is, I end up talking about Transy with pretty much everyone I meet. I'll give you some sample dialogue of how a typical conversation might go, I'm "Me" and the random stranger is "Partner".

Partner: Hey!
Me: Hi! How's it going?
Partner: Good, u?
Me: Bored because I'm obviously done with all of the homework, readings for class, meetings, and other responsibilities that I have because otherwise I would never waste me time on a website like this. (:
Partner: so ur a student?
Me: Yep, are you?
Partner: ya.
Me: Where are you from?
Partner: minnesota, go golden gophers! where r u from?
Me: I'm from Indiana, but I go to school in Kentucky.
Partner: uk? do you know the john wall dance?
Me: haha. I actually go to the other school in Lexington, you've probably never heard about it but it's way better than UK.
Partner: whats it called?
Me: Transylvania University.
Partner: dracula?
Me: haha, not the first time I've heard that one. Transylvania actually means "across the woods" in Latin and we were the first university west of the Allegheny Mountains.
Partner: allegheny mountains?
Me: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegheny_Mountains
Me: It's actually the 16th oldest college in the US.
Partner: ok cool. What are you studying?
Me: Computer Science and Spanish

And it continues from there, but you get the picture.

There's a Ben Folds impersonator that composes songs on the spot about the stranger he meets, so Ben Folds put a concert on ChatRoulette.

It's funny for me to think about the days when the name Transylvania meant nothing more than a place in Romania where all the vampires hang out, but it's refreshing to remember that a large percent of the population has no idea who we are. I like to be able to share my stories about Raf Week, Greek Life, Residence Life, and adventures abroad.

No comments: