Monday, October 6, 2008

Recruitment

So, sorority recruitment – over.

It was interesting experiencing a year later than most of my friends my first official rendezvous with the Greek Organizations on campus. Everyone was so nice. Like the nice that kinda freaks some people out because we are so use to living in a world where our existence is usually ignored by the majority, but not during recruitment, oh no. Even that girl who you pass every day on your way to class, you know the one that you try not to make eye contact with, even she wants to know about you. It’s a little strange especially after being on campus for a year, that all of a sudden these people want to know everything about you and want you to ask them about their own experiences with Greek life, but after you get past that initial (cynical) reaction is really cool.

(<-- Pref Night you get all dressed up) The first night was really intense; you visit all of the sorority halls. (Because that’s how we roll at Transy, we have Greek halls in the dorms, not off campus houses.) But you visit all of the halls and talk to a girl or girl in the sorority about their Greek experience. After that you go to a presentation put on by all of the sororities that kind of overviews what their chapter is about. It’s fun, but really exhausting. The second night is community involvement night where you get invited back to at the most 3 chapters and you learn about their philanthropy and so forth. This night is a lot shorter and a lot less stressful. Then the third and final night is Preference night, which is where you get all dressed up and go to 2 different chapters, tops, where they share some of the more special stories of their own recruitment and how Greek life has changed them. Pref night was a lot of fun and totally made up my mind for me. I had a lot of very close friends in one of the sororities and the first thing that that sorority did was to give a letter written by one of the members to each of the girls that attended. A sophomore friend of mine, Elizabeth, wrote me one of the best notes I’ve ever gotten, it was an amazing night and made me pretty glad that I had waited, otherwise I don’t think that I would have gotten that kind of experience out of Rush, it was pretty amazing. The next day was awful; it was a day of strict silence and I couldn’t talk to any of my affiliated friends until we ran out to meet them, after that it was all downhill: a lot of hanging out and snackin on junk food. Since then, it’s been pretty good, except that a lot of the meetings and so forth, including our formal pledging on Thursday, overlap with my tutoring in the library. Lame-city.

(My friends and I on our way to meet our sorority!)

Anyway, the thing that hit me about all of the different sororities, or women’s fraternities as it may be, after the whole recruitment process is that there is a whole big group of different girls that come together and bond in a sisterhood so strong. Now don’t get me wrong, I know that Greek life isn’t a bed of roses, and that everyone in every sorority aren’t always the best of friends, but they are able to put differences aside and to come together as sisters sometimes do (I’d know I have two of them myself) in a bond of love and understanding. It’s this kind of “love no matter what” support system I miss when I’m not home. That same thing that kind of makes up the fourth dimension of Transy life, whether you get it from a sports team, or musical group, or the Greek community, there’s no doubt that we’ve got it goin’ on here. Our cup runeth over. :)

No comments: