Monday, November 17, 2008

Registration

I’m in a much better mood this week. I don’t have any CS projects due this week; that always helps. I’m getting excited about registration, and taking some interesting classes, my mom suggested that for my social science credit that I take Psychology, which was her minor in school, and I hope that’s interesting. And since I’m not sure about what I want to do with my life I figured I’d take an education course in case I head down the teacher road, which interestingly enough, many of my teachers in high school still insist that I’m going to be a teacher. I’m also planning on taking Spanish Conversation, which I’m really excited about because, although my Spanish writing may suck sometimes, I can talk up a storm. That’s what I get for speaking only Spanish in Spain the summer before my senior year right? But that’s a different story. Then I’m taking a required CS class with a professor I haven’t had yet so that’ll be a new experience.

I think I’ll take this opportunity to explain some of the GE (General Education) credits that you have to take at Transy, as a First-Year your first run-in with GE’s are University 1111 and FLA (Foundations of Liberal Arts) University 1111 is a pass/fail class that meets informally twice a week your first semester at Transy. FLA is a reading/writing course that helps to acclimate you to the Liberal Arts education, basically this is the first class where you find out that every subject at Transy is going to involve some writing intensive classes, and classes where you’ll have to give presentations and classes where you’ll have to do research projects with annotated bibliographies and processed writings. Personally, I loves FLA I and FLA II and got a lot out of the courses; you get some good pointers from professors from all subject areas, because not only English professors teach FLA, you could have a professor with their doctorate in Math teaching this class.

Anyway, you also have to take classes like Lifetime Fitness (think PE), and you have to take a Social Science class (Psychology, Philosophy, Sociology), a Natural Science (Chemistry, Biology), a math class; you have to take a series of foreign language classes, and a couple of other harder to explain required groups of classes. Regardless, through doing this, Transy really does create well rounded students, you may hate every second of your Chem I class, like I did, but when somebody is taking about it or it pops up on Jeopardy, you know what’s going on.

Anywho, I register for classes on Wednesday, Monday, Wednesday, Friday I’m going to *try* to get into General Psychology, Spanish Conversation, Observing the Learner (intro to ed class), and choir, and then on Tuesday/Thursday I’m going to take Computer Organization. I know, this schedule sounds amazingly exciting, but calm down folks, it’s just a schedule. We also sign up for our May Term classes tomorrow.

May term is a time of happiness, where you have 1 class for about a month (the majority of May) and a lot of the time teachers take trips to do different things. Some trips I know of this year include: biking through Spain and France, going to Ireland, and of course the choir is taking a tour of Italy, Slovenia, and Croatia!(^ Ljubljana, the Capitol of Slovenia) I know I’ve talked briefly about this trip before, but let me tell you some more bout it. For ten days, members of the choir and the orchestra, will tour around these beautiful countries, our stays will include a two day stay in Venice with walking tours and all. The price isn’t cheap, but that’s what summer jobs and so forth are for, right?

No comments: