Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Did they have brains or knowledge? Don't make me laugh!

So, I've been working with Michael Cronk in the Career Development Center on my resume and we've made some great alterations to it. The whole objective of my visit was to get some advice on a summer internship and hopefully get some of that much needed networking to find a position for the summer. Last summer and the summer before I was in an engineering co-op at Rolls-Royce in Indianapolis, but since I decided to change my major from the Physics/Pre-Engineering route to Computer Science and Spanish I couldn't really stick around there for the coming summer. Not to mention it's hard to be so far away from all of my friends and my boyfriend for the whole summer. Anyway, I'm excited to try out something new in the Computer Science field and stay in Lexington for the summer. Now that I've fixed my resume, the next step is to meet with Susan Rayer, the Director of the CDC, to find the perfect position for me this summer. Let's cross our fingers for something good!

My Friends Aaron and William from my Rolls-Royce Co-Op

I'm sure some of you are thinking that I'm being a little over achieving with the co-op and internship talk, but I'll tell you my co-op experience helped me realize that something I thought I was sure I would love to do, wasn't exactly the right thing for me. So, this is me telling you to get out there in the field you think you'd like to be in and do the work that the people are doing. You can go through your whole college career loving all the classes you take for your desired career, but you could get into the work-force and find out that you don't really want to be an engineer and really wish you would have taken more communication classes so you could be doing Journalism. Transy tries their hardest to make sure this doesn't happen by requiring classes from all sorts of disciplines but you may be surprised once you're out there in the workforce. So, this is me, Abby, your friendly Transy Admissions Blogger telling you to get out there as soon as you can! (I started second semester of Senior year.) It's not something you have to wait around for.

No comments: