Tuesday, February 17, 2009

I put my thing down, flip it, and reverse it

So today SOL (student orientation leader) applications were due, and I, um, didn't get mine done :-/... It's all good, because I got an interview for the RA position, well it was actually two separate interviews, one with two of the Head RA's (HA's) for next year and one with the other HA and Bob Brown, the director of Residence Life. I thought they went well but there are 18 girls interviewing for 6-8 positions, so we'll have to see and hopefully in a couple of weeks you'll find out that I'll be an RA next year. (Knock on wood!) I still need to finish my AA application and just in case I don't get anything, I'm also going to apply for some study abroad scholarships for next year. But anyway, I know you all, as prospective students have miles and miles of applications ahead of you so start early and work hard on them, don't let those deadlines fly by!

Speaking of being a prospective student, I've been asked to share with you the Top Five Things that I liked about Transy as a prospective student... so here it goes!
  1. Transy is a small university, about 1200 students, but it's not out in the middle of nowhere! Lexington is a great city and Transy is close enough to stuff downtown or a short drive away from all sorts of great stuff, AND if you like football and big school sports you can always be a UK fan, I mean most people here are. (I stand by my back up school Purdue for the big sports stuff. Sshh, don't tell anybody! )
  2. Athletics at Transy are good, but they aren't so intense that they take over your entire life. You know, I was going to swim and I was excited because I would have been able to do that and still have time and energy to devote to my studies.
  3. The campus is really pretty. I had looked at a few schools in Indiana where the campus had no trees! It was really important to me to be somewhere that makes me feel good when I'm walking around in the different seasons, and Transy has that. There are green places and trees and flowers and all sorts of growing things.
  4. The professors are excited about the stuff they teach and the class sizes are small. When I visited, I sat in an upper-level physics class where the professor sat at a table with the eight students in the class, if someone didn't understand something, the professor could sit down with the student and see what was wrong.
  5. Everyone seemed really excited about me being there. From the other students in the classes I sat in on to everyone on the swim team, to the people around campus, they all made me feel really welcomed and even better, wanted.
So, for all of you folks out there, I suggest you come for a visit to really check Transy out, I'm not lying when I say, I came to Transy because I fell in love with it during my visit and I know you could too, so don't be scared away because of something you see online or hear from a friend, try in out for yourself and schedule an overnight and if you do, shoot me and email I'd love to meet up and talk, I mean you already know me!

I'll talk to you guys later! Go out and have some fun!

No comments: