Friday, October 17, 2008

Fall Break


Whew. It’s been a long, busy stretch and a lot has happened. I’ve had a ton of reading, a few tests, a couple of programs, and fall break. Fall break was defiantly the highlight in there though.

Let’s just start off by saying, I love Transy; I love my friends at Transy; I love living in Lexington, but I love my family just as much or more than all of those other things and I love to just be at home with them, so that’s where I went for my break. Now, I know that a lot of our perspective students are from Kentucky, but I’m sure there are some of you out there who aren’t and I’m in that same boat. Personally, I love being this distance from home. I’m close enough that, if I want, I can just go home for a weekend and not spend half of that time driving, but I’m far enough away that I can learn to rely on myself and not run home every time something goes wrong or I don’t feel well or even if I need to do laundry. I feel that I have grown up immensely in the year or so I’ve lived in Lexington. Not to mention, my parents can’t just drop by anytime and tell me I need to make my bed either.

Anyway, I went home for break and for the first time in my life, I voted for the next president of the United States of America!!! Let me tell you, if there’s anything good about turning 18, it’s not being able to play the lottery or buy tobacco; it’s getting the chance to give your input on how the country should be lead. I know voting early’s not quite as climactic as going to the polls on Election Day, but it’s all the same as and the sticker they gave me at the Clerk’s Office says, “I Vote, I Count.”

It’s really interesting to see the effects on the Transy campus from the election as well. Last year, before the primary, Bill Clinton was scheduled to come to campaign for Hillary, but we soon found out that was canceled and instead both of them came to talk in our own little Beck Center. It was pretty intense, and there were rumors that Bill was supposed to come back to support Obama this time, but I haven’t heard anything else about that. Regardless of your political affiliation though, there’s defiantly groups for everyone. We’ve got the Campus Republicans, the Campus Democrats, Transy Students for Obama, and we’ve even got a group of Ron Paul supporters running around somewhere.

Well, I think that’s all for now. Until next time, goodnight and good luck.

No comments: