Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Teaching College Students - Harder Than It Looks

This May Term I was lucky enough to get the chance to work with Dr. Jeremy Paden in a different way than I have before, not as a student in a class, but we worked together to teach his Spanish III May Term course while helping me prepare to be a Spanish Teacher next year in Memphis.

I invested in a Theory of Second Language Instruction book and Dr. Paden slowly worked with me to help me develop my skills as an instructor and as a speaker and writer in the Spanish Language.  We took it slowly at first but by the second week of class I was completely in charge of a test review and the administration of a test. I've taught lessons and lead discussions and felt pretty teacher-like in general, but I've learned that college students kind of lack the interest and creativity that they once had in their earlier years.

I've worked extensively with Middle School and High School students and even if their enthusiasm is misplaced and they don't always behave as they should, they are still excited about being in class (even if they're only excited because their best friend is there.)  So here is my challenge to you, whether a perspective student, Transy Alumn, parent, or friend: find a reason to be excited about learning, to be passionate about the things that you're doing whether or not they're required by your university, school, or job, be excited and be willing to learn!

*Stepping off my soapbox*

The cool thing about Transy is that students have the ability to do these kind of things, to work independently with professors on mutually interesting topics.

Hope you're having a great May!

No comments: